Creating a Diet for an Underactive Thyroid Gland

Thousands of people develop an under active thyroid each year in different parts of the world. When the thyroid gland becomes underactive, it manufactures less thyroid hormone and the condition is known clinically as hypothyroidism. If the hormonal imbalance is not corrected, an individual will start to develop symptoms such as puffiness around the face, thinning hair, stunted growth (in children and teenagers), sudden weight gain, and so forth.
 
The condition can quickly deteriorate if it is not properly diagnosed and treated. If you suspect that you have developed hypothyroidism, you should see your healthcare professional who will do a proper diagnosis. However, if you have already developed hypothyroidism, and are already being treated by a qualified doctor, here are a few tips to help you improve your health. 

>> Learn More About  Creating A Thyroid Here <<

1. Alter Your Diet

You need to modify your diet so as to correct the hormonal imbalance you are experiencing. Happily, you can get rid of all the excess body fat that you have accumulated as a result of your condition, merely by altering your diet. Now is the best time to improve your diet and overall lifestyle.
 
2. Eat Intelligently

Many times, people will consume unhealthy foods due to convenience. It is true that time is a scarce commodity in people’s lives and there is simply not enough time to do everything that needs to be done. But, you need to realize that it is very important that you take care of your body. If your health breaks down, all other things will have to wait. 

Thus, do not allow things to degenerate to this level. Do everything in your power to preserve your health, even if you are suffering from hypothyroidism. Get rid of processed or junk foods from your daily diet and replace them with whole foods. 
 
It’s okay to relapse once in a while, however that should make up only about 20% of your food intake. Fresh seafood, whole grains, vegetables, fresh fruits and dairy products (low fat) should make up the remaining 80 percent of your diet. If you continue to eat processed or junk foods on a regular basis, you might end up disrupting your hormone balance. This is because junk foods contain high amounts of preservatives which disrupt the natural hormone balance of the body.
 
3. Eat More Dietary Fiber
 
Ensure that your daily diet contains sufficient quantities of dietary fiber. Vegetables and certain fruits are excellent sources of dietary fiber. However, fruits like all other foods must never be consumed in excess, as fruits are high in fruit sugars or fructose.

Fructose is actually a simple carbohydrate, and consuming it in excess can sharply increase your blood sugar levels and lead to weight gain. Also, do not consume high fiber foods just before you take your thyroid drugs. This is because thyroid drugs are usually taken without food to boost absorption as well as bioavailability of the artificial hormones. 

Iodine is important for the proper functioning of the thyroid gland. Iodized salt does not contain sufficient quantities of iodine, thus do not try to obtain your iodine from iodized salt only. Instead, you should eat sea foods on a regular basis so as to increase your iodine stores without consuming too much salt. 

>> Learn More About  Creating A Thyroid Here <<